- Leslie DeLong BS, MHA, Lamar Institute of Technology, Beaumont, TX
- Nancy Burkhart BSDH, MEd, EdD, Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, TX
General and Oral Pathology for the Dental Hygienist, 2nd Edition, is a comprehensive study of the general concepts of pathophysiology as they relate to systemic and oral conditions. The only dental hygiene book on the market to address both oral and general pathology, General and Oral Pathology for the Dental Hygienist is the ideal solution for programs that cover oral and general pathology in one course, and provides an easily accessible review of general pathology for programs that cover oral pathology separately.
The Oral Pathology section is uniquely organized by distinct recognizable characteristics of lesions (for example, “white” lesions or “radiolucent” lesions), a uniquely practical and highly effective way of presenting this information since dental hygienists have to evaluate pathology based on what they see. This allows the student to easily identify what he or she might be looking at and to differentiate between lesions with similar appearances.
- UNIQUE! Includes both oral and general pathology, clearly relating the principles of general pathology to the oral pathology seen in the clinic
- UNIQUE! Organized into distinct clinical/radiographic features of oral lesions (for example, “red lesions” or “raised lesions”) so the dental hygiene student easily identify what he or she might be looking at
- Connects classroom learning to the clinic with numerous features that emphasize clinical relevance and practical application, such as:
- “Dental Implications” detailed for each pathology
- “Application” boxes that clearly explain how pathologies can affect a hygienist’s experience in the office
- “Critical Thinking Activities” that put a student into the professional hygienist’s shoes
- “Portfolio Activities” that instruct students to create materials as if they were professionals
- “Case Studies” that present a patient example and ask critical thinking questions to help the student assume the role of the hygienist
- “Internet Resources” that refer students to professional organizations and current research in the field
Provides standardized information for most pathologies in the text, including name and common synonyms, epidemiology, method of transmission, pathogenesis, extraoral characteristics, perioral and intraoral characteristics, distinguishing characteristics, significant microscopic features, dental implications, differential diagnosis, and treatment and prognosis Clarifies the physical manifestation of pathology through a stunning art program with over 600 images covering a wide range of topics Provides quick reference with twenty-eight clinical protocols written by experts in the field, on topics ranging from “Performing a Cytology Smear” to “Motivational Interviewing for Behavior Change” NEW TO THIS EDITION! In addition to being fully revamped and revised, the 2nd edition of General and Oral Pathology for Dental Hygienists also includes more images, more case studies (including additional online case studies), additional clinical applications activities, and an expanded Clinical Protocols appendix, plus NEW! Lesion/Condition Summary tables at the end of each chapter.
Note: Only Dental member can download this ebook. Learn more here!